3/30/2009

i heart candice breitz

I would like to take a moment to speak of the awesomeness of Candice Breitz.

I love her most for her video work, and I feel very fortunate to have seen the pieces Mother + Father and Queen at the White Cube when I was in London (such a great art space). I feel even more fortunate to have seen her in person, talking about her work, at the Guggenheim about two years ago. She's incredibly charming, wonderfully animated and absolutely amazing. And I'm holding back, really.

In particular, I'm a huge fan of her "portraits", which consist of a wall of 30 monitors, each with the sound cranked up, showcasing one of 30 people singing along to the lyrics of a series of pop songs. Queen, for example, starts with 30 people belting out "Like a Prayer" in unison and continues through the Madonna repertoire. I'm so thrilled that you can now watch these on her website - and you should - but it doesn't compare to the power of actually seeing them in person. There is something incredibly moving and powerful about them. And yes, there's also something incredibly funny. I dare you to try and not sing along.

I just noticed that her show at Yvon-Lambert in New York, just closed (of course, always my luck), but if you ever get a chance to see her work in person, please, please do so.

No comments: