3/02/2012

new

Hey out there!
I moved!
Into a new studio last night!

I'm so excited about this. Moving generally sucks, but I was able to get moved and pretty much settled in 2 nights, which is awesome.

You know when you reach that point in a living space, be it a room, an apartment, or whatever, when you know that you want to fix it up, but realistically you're not going to put the energy into it? That's where I was with my old studio. I've been itching to move to awhile - spending a lot of time looking at studios online and dreaming about a new space - so when a spot opened up across the hall, I decided to go for it.

I moved across the hall in the same building, and the space already feels so much better. My old spot was great - it was 1/6 of a large room that I shared with artists who practiced a variety of disciplines, and I liked the communal feel of it when I moved in. It had some issues: my "walls" were made of up shelving that marked boundaries of my space, and recently there's been a lot of changeover, which was getting tiresome. Also, I'm not a super neat and organized person, so having to stare at someone else's mess while trying to contain my own was surprisingly draining. And not to mention that the exposed brick wall - although very charming - is extremely drafty and the space gets darn cold in the winter.


My new space is only 25 square feet larger than my old one, but feels so much bigger. And having walls is life changing. I can put up shelving! And a better drying rack! And inspirational tapirs!

My studio is seriously about 5 minutes from my house, so I'm able to go back and forth with ease (which is amazing if you're like me and only have 1 to 2 hour blocks at at time in which to be productive). It's also amazing if your studio bathrooms are kind of disgusting, which mine kind of are. Recently I've been dragging my feet to get to the studio. Once I'm there, I'm OK, but I've been going there as a means to get what I need to get done, and then darting back to my nice and cozy home. I'm already noticing that I  just feel more comfortable in this space - which will be great for productivity.


And super productivity is what I need right now, because - typically me - I decided to do all this right in the middle of a crazy time when I'm prepping for my spring shows. I have a few things in the mix, but I'm happy to announce that I'll be attending the Spring edition of the One of a Kind Show in Toronto at the end of this month! I'll be in booth P-21, once again in the Rising Stars Section.

The Christmas sale was a huge success for me, and I'm excited to go back and see some old (new) Toronto friends and hang out with my Mom for the week. I have my work cut out for me - I have so much left to do!

I hope to announce a few more sales and shows soon, along with some new products and designs.

Until then, it's time to work. Work work work. I hope everyone is as productive as they need to be this weekend!


No comments: